GRESB Participation Growth: An Industry Rally Amidst Stark Climate Warnings
Since its inception more than 12 years ago, GRESB continues to deliver on its promise to provide investors with the critical data they need to make informed decisions related to ESG risk and opportunities. As such, we are glad to announce that, despite pressures from the COVID-19 pandemic, participation in the GRESB Assessment continues to grow, surpassing initial expectations with an increase of 26% from last year.
The 2021 GRESB ESG benchmark now covers the performance of more than 2,200 real estate and infrastructure funds, companies and assets (up from 1,700 in 2020). This data provides more than 140 institutional investors – with more than $47 trillion in assets under management – to address complex sustainability issues and accelerate the growth of responsible investment.
This growth indicates a wider desire for industry change, as more investors than ever before used GRESB in 2021 to not only better understand their portfolio but also help prioritize climate related financial risks. For a more detailed breakdown of the 2021 GRESB Assessment participation numbers, please see here.
Transition Risk Tool | We are actively looking for feedback from the industry to help us better understand the needs of our members when it comes to transition risk. To facilitate this, we have launched a Transition Risk Survey to identify the most pressing issues our Participant Members are facing.
GRESB 2021 Participation Survey | To ensure the highest quality of service, we have created a short 10 question GRESB Assessment Participation survey which you can fill out here. This survey will help us better understand your relationship with GRESB and how we can best maintain a long-lasting partnership.
GRESB is hiring! We’re looking for:
Upcoming events you can join us at
Investor Relations, Marketing, and Communications Global Forum
September 9 – September 10
- Europe’s longest-running event focused on diversity in private equity will return to London once again in December.
The UK Sustainability Infrastructure Policy & Investment Online Summit
- This year’s edition of City & Financial Global’s well established summit on infrastructure policy and investment, which is being held virtually on 6th July, comes at a particularly interesting point in the market’s development. Aurelien Reynolds, GRESB Infrastructure Associate, will be speaking at this event.
FAST-Infra Global Conference
- Please join us for this virtual FAST-Infra Global Conference to hear from high-level speakers, including industry experts and collaborators as they discuss the latest developments to mobilize private capital towards global sustainable infrastructure needs.
Dutch National Sustainable Finance & Climate Risk Conference
September 16 – September 17
- A sustainable financial sector is essential to achieve the Paris climate goals – this event explores how financial institutions contribute to a society in which Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) values are becoming increasingly important, by pursuing sustainable financial activities. Erik Landry, Climate Change Specialist at GRESB, and Cathy Granneman, Associate Member Relations – Infrastructure, will be speaking at this event.
SuperReturn Global Infrastructure
September 21 – September 23
- The event will provide insights into what the “new normal” might look like for the global infrastructure asset class.
- Rick Walters, Chief of Standards and Innovation at GRESB, will be speaking at this event
PERE Europe & PERE Debt and Financing Forum
September 21 – September 22
- The 16th annual PERE Europe Forum on 21–22 September will be held in-person and virtually through an interactive platform.
- Roxana Isaiu, Chief Sustainability Officer at GRESB, will be speaking at the event.
World Pension Summit 2021
October 12 – October 14
- Pensions & Investments World Pension Summit, the global platform ‘for and by’ pension professionals, discusses the long-term components of vital ‘pension cross-roads’.
- Roxana Isaiu, Chief Sustainability Officer at GRESB, will be speaking at this event.
Infrastructure Investor Global Summit
October 18 – October 21
- Bringing together infrastructure’s most influential decision-makers for four days of networking and industry-leading content.
Infrastructure Investors Forum: Asia
September 7 | Singapore and online
- The 4th Infrastructure Investors Forum: Asia, hosted by AVCJ and Inframation, will be returning as a hybrid event in September, bringing together global and local GPs, LPs, and infrastructure players for an in-depth one-day discussion into the Southeast Asian infrastructure landscape and beyond.
Responsible Investment Forum: APAC Investor Day
- The Investor Day will create an intimate virtual setting for regional investors to knowledge-share challenges and opportunities associated with responsible investing and ESG practices. Hear from specialists on Environment, Social, Governance, and beyond to understand best practices in decision-making and due diligence processes.
Infrastructure Investors Forum: Australia
October 7 | The Four Seasons Hotel, Sydney and Online
- The 5th annual Infrastructure Investors Forum Australia is the industry’s number one community gathering, attracting the leading infrastructure players in Australia, the biggest global fund managers, sovereign wealth funds and domestic and international pension funds and LPs.
Infrastructure Investors Forum: Japan
October 26 | Conrad Tokyo and Online
- The 3rd annual Infrastructure Investors Forum: Japan is the country’s most focused gathering of senior global fund managers and institutional investors and a key date on the fundraising calendar to discuss investment plans and future allocations.
REFI Global ESG Virtual Summit
- Effective ESG strategies are increasingly taking centre stage as the key differentiator for commercial real estate investment managers seeking to raise capital from institutional and private investors.
Unpacking ESG Practices for Real Estate
- In this webcast, Grant Thornton’s environmental, social and governance (ESG) practice will moderate a discussion with leaders from GRESB (the global ESG benchmark for real assets), the Federal Realty Investment Trust (FRIT) and Nuveen Real Estate.
Dan Winters, Head of Americas at GRESB, will be speaking at this event.
Sustainable Investment Forum North America 2021
September 21 – September 30
- The 6th annual Sustainable Investment Forum North America in partnership with UNEP-FI takes place in September 2021 alongside Climate Week NYC, with the mission to mobilise sustainable investment towards a 1.5 °C world.
- Rick Walters, Chief of Standards and Innovation at GRESB, will be speaking at this event.
PRI Digital Conference
October 18 – October 21
- PRI will bring together investors, policymakers and other sustainable finance stakeholders from around the world for an online exchange of views and ideas.
BOMEX Virtual 2021
October 20 – October 21
- BOMEX Virtual 2021 will be truly international, without borders to constrain and boundaries to pull back ideas. Thought leaders, industry insiders and innovators will come together for a full program of inspiration and engagement.
Building Lasting Change 2021 | October 26 – October 28
- Canada’s premier green building conference is back, with a new online program designed to engage, unite, and inspire.
- Dan Winters, Head of Americas at GRESB, will be speaking at this event.
For a more detailed overview of GRESB upcoming events please visit our events page
Now on GRESB Insights
GRESB Insights provides case studies on ESG integration in real assets, data-driven analysis into how the industry is responding to the sustainability challenge and educational articles exploring topics covered in the GRESB Assessments. The topic for the month of July was “ESG Data Quality.” You can access all GRESB Insights posts here.
GRESB is also opening up submissions for the month of September with the topic of “Biodiversity”. Feel free to make a submission via our landing page here. If you would like to explore next month’s Insights topic you can find out more on GRESB’s Insights page.
What GRESB is reading
Get the GRESB Newsletter