2020 is already shaping up to be an important year for ESG reporting and benchmarking
It’s the year when the investment community is realizing that ESG is a foundational element of effective risk management. It’s also the year that wise investors and managers will use ESG data analytics to inform their engagement and make better decisions. And it’s the year that ESG tipped from being a hot topic at investment conferences around the world to being a must-have.
The direction for the industry is clear and we’re more committed than ever to deliver a robust 2020 Assessment process and drive ever-higher levels of ESG transparency and performance across the sector.
2020 Assessments have been launched in Pre-Release
The Pre-release materials are available on the Participant Guidance page. You can also review the 2020 Assessments by following the direct links below:
We will publish the Reference Guides for all the Assessments in the first week of March.
GRESB API and Asset Spreadsheet
To support the asset level reporting in the Real Estate Assessment, we have pushed forward the release date of the API this year. The 2020 changes are now incorporated into the GRESB API documentation together with an overview of the data field changes.
The GRESB Asset Spreadsheet is also now available. It includes an instructions tab and a data dictionary for reference. We may make amendments to the instructions tab to support your reporting, but the data fields are final.
Online and in-person training to improve your reporting to the GRESB Assessments
In March, we’ll launch a free online training program. The training is designed for new GRESB participants who are looking to gain competency in reporting to the 2020 Assessments. It’s also relevant for existing participants and GRESB Partners who would like a refresher on the reporting process.
The in-person training will take place in select cities around the world in March and April. This year, the real estate in-person training will take the form of a hands-on workshop focussed on advanced reporting concepts and the Performance Component. The in-person Infrastructure training sessions will cover the same information as the online course.
We hope to see you there. And in the meantime, please contact us if you have any comments or queries.
The new GRESB Public Disclosure Dataset reveals improving ESG transparency within listed infrastructure
The GRESB Listed Infrastructure Public Disclosure Dataset covers 155 companies in the listed Infrastructure space – including all 139 constituents in the GLIO Index. The dataset provides information on levels of ESG disclosure and it is undertaken by GRESB using publicly available material ESG data. It provides listed infrastructure investors with information on the ESG transparency and performance of public infrastructure companies and vehicles and a platform for engagement. The data is also being used to create a prototype GLIO/GRESB ESG Index.
If you are an investor and would like to have access to the GRESB Listed Infrastructure Public Disclosure Dataset, please complete this form. We’ll onboard you in the online GRESB Portal, and you’ll immediately have access to all the public disclosure data and accompanying tools.
AMP Capital – Listed Infrastructure Investor Member
AMP Capital believes that ESG issues are critical to the long term sustainability of Global Listed Infrastructure returns and profitability and it is important to review performance in these areas on a comparable basis. In this respect we look forward to reviewing the work undertaken by GRESB across the asset class.
Association of Real Estate Funds (AREF) – Real Estate Industry Partner
The Association of Real Estate Funds (AREF), the voice of the real estate funds industry, is delighted to become a GRESB Real Estate Industry Partner. ESG and social impact investing are very important to our industry and we believe committing to this partnership will help raise the profile of sustainability issues with our members
ISD: Initiatives for Sustainable Development – Real Estate and Infrastructure Partner
The property sector has a significant impact on the global environment, but also offers great potential for greenhouse gas emissions reduction. The GRESB platform helps us to identify property companies and funds that are taking genuine action to ensure their assets are sustainable.
ACTIAM | Infrastructure Investor Member
Atlas Infrastructure | Infrastructure Investor Member
Canada Post Pension Plan | Real Estate and Infrastructure Investor Member
OMERS Administration Corporation | Infrastructure Investor Member
ESG Conference 2020 | Frankfurt am Main, February 20
- Our Director of Real Estate, Roxana Isaiu, will be speaking at the event with a presentation on “The Future Function of Ratings and Benchmarks of Institutional Real Estate”.
BREEAM Awards 2020 | London, March 2
- The BREEAM Awards announce winners and showcase the most innovatively sustainable BREEAM rated buildings of the previous 12 months. The Awards also recognize the high achievements of BREEAM assessors and socially responsible investment through a continuing partnership with GRESB.
Infrastructure Investor Global Summit Berlin 2020 | Berlin, March 16-19
- The Infrastructure Investor Global Summit is the annual meeting place for the industry’s most influential practitioners to build your network and shape the future of the asset class. As a sponsor, we are able to offer you a 10% discount on the current ticket price. Your exclusive discount code to join us in March is: GRESBIIGS10
Utility Week Investor Summit 2020 | London, March 5
- Against the backdrop of Brexit and market uncertainty, the summit unites government, regulators, investors, ratings agencies, and utility CEOs and CFOs to address the impact of regulation, M&A activity, technology developments, and climate change on investment.
RealCapital 2020 | Toronto, February 25
- RealCapital 2020 will focus on key issues and trends by bringing together owners and investors with sources of public and private equity and debt financing in the Canadian real estate market. Neil Pegram, Director of Americas, will be participating on a panel.
Energy Summit |Dallas, February 25-27
- For the last 10 years, this has been the industry’s only conference focused on the issues, trends and technology impacting utility management—all to help you better conserve resources, improve NOI and more easily navigate a complex regulatory environment. Dan Winters, Head of Americas, will be speaking.
ESG Reporting: Introduction to GRESB | Toronto, February 26
- Join us in Toronto with Director of Americas Neil Pegram for a free information session to learn about the GRESB Assessments and Benchmark, and how getting involved can lead to ESG insights and better business intelligence for your organization.
PEI Responsible Investment Forum | New York, March 4-5
- The Responsible Investment Forum returns to New York for its fourth year to bring together the most sophisticated LPs, GPs and associations to discuss why, when, and how your firm should be implementing an effective ESG strategy. Neil Pegram, Director of Americas, will be speaking.
ESG Reporting: Introduction to GRESB at PREA | Beverly Hills, March 5
- This information session is hosted by GRESB Industry Partner PREA and is taking place during the PREA Spring Conference 2020. Dan Winters, Head of Americas, will be speaking.
Real Estate Conference | Melbourne, February 26
This one-day event is designed for chief investment officers, heads of real estate, portfolio managers and other real estate specialists.
Investing in Infrastructure – Building exposure to the asset class | Sydney, March 26
GLIO and RBC Capital Markets, invite you to an afternoon seminar focused on key themes in global infrastructure investment. Ruben Langbroek, Head of Asia Pacific will be speaking.
Now on GRESB Insights
Last month, GRESB Insights featured articles and case studies on the topic of SDGs and Impact. Check out the articles submitted by the following GRESB Partners:
- 6 Ways business can align with SDGs and make an impact | Schneider Electric
- Sustainable DC: Vision 2032 | Arup
- The Australian summer fires bring the challenges of the coming decade into new focus |ISCA
- SDGs: Answering the Big Questions for the Real Estate Industry – What, Where, Why and How? | EVORA
- Sustainable Development Goal 11: Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable | Fabriq
- Act to Push Forward the SDG 2030 Agenda | Allied Environmental Consultants Limited
- Engaging Communities: Equity as an ESG Pillar | Goby
- Performance-Based Occupant Engagement: New Technology Tackles Long-Standing Challenges | Arc
What GRESB is reading
Responsible Investor: PWC & WWF | Nature is too big to fail
IPE Real Assets: Carbon emissions: Big steps to smaller footprints in real estate
World Economic Forum: Here’s why real estate finance needs to build in sustainability