Led by a Foundation Board composed of representatives from GRESB Members and Partners, the GRESB Foundation is the primary platform for GRESB to engage with the industry, owning and governing the standards upon which GRESB BV – a separate profit-for-purpose benefit corporation – performs its assessments.
The GRESB Foundation, GRESB BV and GRESB Members work as one to deliver a shared vision of an investment community that plays a central role in creating a more sustainable world, one where society can meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet theirs.
The Role of the GRESB Foundation
As an independent standards-setting body, the GRESB Foundation works to develop, maintain, improve and publish GRESB Standards annually, in time for GRESB BV to perform its assessments.
Specifically, the GRESB Foundation:
- Facilitates active industry engagement and consensus on the GRESB Standards
- Ensures that the standards are feasible and can be practically implemented
- Provides inclusive representation across GRESB Members and Partners
- Ensures that the standards continually evolve to advance the foundation’s mission
The GRESB Standards
The GRESB Standards are a set of guidelines to assess and benchmark ESG and related performance of real and other assets. As such, the GRESB Standards will provide a globally recognized and consistent means of assessing and benchmarking the ESG performance of assets and portfolios. The Standards include the questions, evidence and indicators to assess ESG performance, including the weighting of the indicators.
The GRESB Foundation focuses on the development and approval of the GRESB Standards. GRESB BV uses the Standards to assess the ESG performance of participants, including applying quality validation, scoring and benchmarking.
The GRESB Foundation Board
The GRESB Foundation’s formal decision-making body, the GRESB Foundation Board is composed of the following GRESB Members and Partners who each serve a two-year term (which began in January 2022):
- Esther An, City Developments Limited
- Matt Christensen, AllianzGI
- Mathieu Elshout, PATRIZIA
- Vincent Felteau, PSP Investments
- Patrick Kanters, APG Asset Management
- Maarten Jennen, PGGM
- Kathleen Jowett, LaSalle Global Partner Solutions
- Helena Olin, AP2
- Will MacAulay, HESTA
- Dominique Moerenhout, EPRA
- Mary Nicholson, Macquarie Asset Management
- Deborah Ng, Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan
- Alison Schneider, Alberta Investment Management Corporation
Creating a roadmap for GRESB Standards and Assessments
In 2021, the GRESB Foundation launched an 18-month stakeholder engagement process to create a shared vision for future GRESB Standards and to develop a five-year roadmap with all GRESB Members and Partners for implementation. Read more about our Five-Year Roadmap.Learn More
For information on roles within the GRESB Foundation, please see the terms of reference for:
For GRESB Members and Partners interested in joining an Expert Resource Group, please find more information here.
Watch this video to learn more about the GRESB Foundation.