Energy efficiency project lowers costs at NKC Manufacturing
New equipment and energy services are helping NKC Manufacturing increase its energy efficiency.
NKC Manufacturing Sweden AB was established in 2011, when NKC was acquired by Nakanishi Metal Works Co. Originally established in the 1960s, the subsidiary’s plant has been manufacturing bearing retainers in Gothenburg since 1965. The company grounds cover about 33,000 m2, 12,000 m2 of which are allocated to the production site.
The site’s management has always taken a conscious approach to the environment, but since NKC joined the Nakanishi Metal Works Co. company, environmental efforts have been pursued to an even greater extent. Two of Nakanishi’s key environmental initiatives are aimed at increasing operating efficiency of production facilities and optimizing/modernizing indoor air management systems.
Building Technologies was asked to outline possible measures to implement an energy efficiency project. The project focused on performance improvements that could deliver rapid and substantial return on investment.
The company site was subsequently outfitted with a new ventilation system as well as modern building automation and an energy management system. Project financing was combined with a guaranteed 20% return on investment (ROI) over five years in an energy performance contracting scheme.
The company’s buildings are managed and optimized on an ongoing basis from the Service Center, which ensures that the target ROI is achieved and that additional optimization opportunities are identified. Real-time data provides information as to when and how the factory is running and where energy can be saved.
- Reduced costs for energy and operations & maintenance
- For NKC Manufacturing, a cost-neutral solution involving no capex investment
- Improved comfort
- Simpler operation and maintenance with a building management system that provides data on available energy and trends
- Updated/new technical infrastructure
- Reduction of CO2 emissions
Siemens’ solutions and services provided to NKC Manufacturing:
- Identification and implementation of energy efficiency improvement measures
- Modernization of the ventilation system
- Installation of the Desigo building management system
- Building performance monitoring and optimization services via the Service Center
- Energy performance contracting